About The Market
A free holiday event held each Christmas season
The idea was born in 2011 and the first Market took place in December 2014.
The tradition of the Christmas Market dates back centuries and over the recent decades has transcended European borders to be embraced in different parts of the world.
Our mission was to bring this great tradition to St. Paul for all Minnesotans to experience. We’ve grown over the last few years from a 3-day event with twelve kiosks to a 12-day event with nearly 50 kiosks and over 65,000 visitors.
We look forward to continuing this centuries-old tradition and supporting local artisans and vendors. The Market is fast becoming a St. Paul tradition.
The Market offers visitors unique and handcrafted items such as
- Christmas ornaments
- beeswax candles
- decorative glass
- wool mittens and scarves
- jewelry, and more
You’ll experience the enticing aromas of Glühwein, roasted nuts, sizzling sausages, and other mouthwatering treats.
European Christmas Market provides a cultural event that will entertain the whole family and familiarize them with 500-year-old world traditions and culture.
The event creates an ambiance and celebration—to bring light to the dark of winter and add to the goodwill of the Christmas spirit. True to tradition, the event will be open to all and free of charge.
European Christmas Market’s Mission
- To foster and revive European arts and Europe’s shared cultural heritage
- Revive European cultural traditions in the United States
- Support local artists, artisanal products, and small businesses
- To educate the public about Europe’s culture and make it accessible, particularly via an authentic, charming, family-friendly holiday event in St. Paul, Minnesota, replicating the European seasonal Christmas markets that spring up each year before Christmas throughout Europe
2021 Board of Directors
- Renate Sharp, Founder and President – without her tireless work over the last decade this Market would not be what it was. She has invested countless hours to this mission of setting up a non-profit to bring the wonderful tradition of the Christmas Market to St Paul, MN.
- Claire Corvaisier, Vice President – Claire hails from France and, at her Oh Crêpe! kiosk, brings us the scrumptious traditional authentic galettes (buckwheat savory crêpes) and sweet crêpes. Besides she is an active, hardworking hands on board member.
- Christian Engelbrecht, Vice President – Christian is our numbers man par excellence. He also researched various Christmas markets and was active in preparing us for our launch in 2014. He now lives in Florida but tremendously assists us remotely and also flies in each year when the Market is in session.
- Lucy Egberg, Secretary – Lucy and her sister Jeni were among our first twelve vendors and have remained with us since then with their Roseberry Kids boutique. Lucy keeps our records, diligently records our meetings and helps out whenever with a big smile wherever she is needed. She professionally practices immigration law outside of her role with the Market.
- Ferdinand Peters, Treasurer – Ferd was so helpful in our years of pre-launch planning and instrumental in getting us off the ground. He has freely shared his good ideas about making the Market attractive and, with his law practice, he has diligently kept us well advised.
- Christine Burbach, Board Member – Christine keeps her eyes and ears open to keep us in the know. She also runs Burbach’s European Pancakes at the Market with her husband and offers more than just tasty pancakes.
- Anja Kroll, Board Member – Anja has supported ECM with wonderful ideas and persuaded her dear artist Mother A to paint the beautiful Market scene for our limited edition mugs. Anja loves everything Norwegian and she adds to our Market with her Nordikk Butikk kiosk, a collective shop of small businesses and artisans that are all inspired by the Nordic traditions.
- Nadine Schaefer, Executive Event Director – We welcome Nadine as our first Executive Director. Nadine comes to us with lots of experience and enthusiasm; she co-founded the Vancouver Christmas Market and single-handedly started and operated the Minneapolis Holiday Market at Peavey Plaza. Nadine has already shown her skill and hard work with our 2021 Market and we are so glad to have Nadine on board.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are pets allowed at the European Christmas Market?
Sadly, pets are not allowed at the European Christmas Market due to MN Health Code guidelines.
Do you have any discount packages?
Yes! Our VIP Experience Package is $50 and provides you with 1 entree, 2 drinks, a dessert, a collectible mug and a small gift at the Market! Also included in the Drury Plaza Hotel European Christmas Market Package if you stay overnight. See below.
Where can I stay overnight nearby to get the most of my weekend at the European Christmas Market?
The Drury Plaza Hotel St. Paul Downtown is the perfect place to stay nearby! It is within walking distance to the Market and when you book the VIP Experience Package, food, drinks and a gift at the Market is included in your stay ($50 value)!