About The Market
A free holiday event held each Christmas season
The idea was born in 2011 and the first Market took place in December 2014.
The tradition of the Christmas Market dates back centuries and over the recent decades has transcended European borders to be embraced in different parts of the world.
Our mission was to bring this great tradition to St. Paul for all Minnesotans to experience. We’ve grown over the last few years from a 3-day event with twelve kiosks to a 12-day event with nearly 50 kiosks and over 65,000 visitors.
We look forward to continuing this centuries-old tradition and supporting local artisans and vendors. The Market is fast becoming a St. Paul tradition.
The Market offers visitors unique and handcrafted items such as
- Christmas ornaments
- beeswax candles
- decorative glass
- wool mittens and scarves
- jewelry, and more
You’ll experience the enticing aromas of Glühwein, roasted nuts, sizzling sausages, and other mouthwatering treats.
European Christmas Market provides a cultural event that will entertain the whole family and familiarize them with 500-year-old world traditions and culture.
The event creates an ambiance and celebration—to bring light to the dark of winter and add to the goodwill of the Christmas spirit. True to tradition, the event will be open to all and free of charge.
European Christmas Market’s Mission
- To foster and revive European arts and Europe’s shared cultural heritage
- Revive European cultural traditions in the United States
- Support local artists, artisanal products, and small businesses
- To educate the public about Europe’s culture and make it accessible, particularly via an authentic, charming, family-friendly holiday event in St. Paul, Minnesota, replicating the European seasonal Christmas markets that spring up each year before Christmas throughout Europe
2020 Board of Directors
- Renate Sharp, Founder and President – without her tireless work over the last decade this Market would not be what it was. She has invested countless hours to this mission of setting up a non-profit to bring the wonderful tradition of the Christmas Market to St Paul, MN.
- Claire Corvaisier, Vice President
- Christian Engelbrecht, Vice President
- Lucy Egberg, Secretary
- Ferdinand Peters, Treasurer
- Christine Burbach
- Anja Kroll
- Nadine Schaefer, Event Director
Frequently Asked Questions
Are pets allowed at the European Christmas Market?
Sadly, pets are not allowed at the European Christmas Market due to MN Health Code guidelines.